Joe Biden must earn the support of the Latino electorate to win the election. We dissected Biden’s 22-page Latino plan and found that it primarily focuses on four main areas: healthcare, education, immigration, and climate change. These main points are analyzed below.
Furthermore, the power of the Latino vote will be a deciding factor in the 2020 Presidential election and according to Joe Biden’s website, his plan is based on these key areas: (1) Expand access to quality, affordable health care (2) Invest in education from birth through 12th grade (3) Reform our immigration system and (4) Protect communities of color from environmental impacts and ensure polluters pay.
Biden’s full Latino plan is outlined below as a reference, followed by an analysis of what they mean and how the Latino community is reacting. Furthermore, it’s important to note that to say that the Latino community has not fared well under the Trump administration is a vast understatement.
1. Expand access to quality, affordable health care
2. Make sure Latinos have a fair shot at joining the middle class
3. Invest in education from birth through 12th grade
4. Expand access to quality, affordable education, and training beyond high school
5. Reform our immigration system
6. Pass common-sense gun laws
7. Protect communities of color from environmental impacts
8. Reduce incarceration and make our communities safer
During his first presidential term, President Donald Trump traveled to Latin-America once for 2018’s G-20 Summit in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Trump’s engagement with Latinos pales in comparison to Joe Biden’s engagement. Biden, during his Vice President years, traveled to Mexico, Brazil, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Argentina, and other Latin-American countries more than 16 times. As Evelyn Perez-Verdia says of this stark fact, actions do speak louder than words.